Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Real Thing

I had surgery last week and am hobbling around on crutches right now. We made arrangements for Boston to stay with someone the first few days as I wasn't sure I could handle an active puppy plus Sage while on pain meds.

We picked Boston up last night. I was curious as to what her reaction would be to the crutches and my using them - is very different than what I looked like when she last saw me. Surprisingly, she wasn't fazed by either the crutches or my appearance a bit.

I decided to have Boston work for me during my recovery period as she will for the person she is placed with. This has given me a new venue for training because I cannot 'leap' to correct her on a command - I need to rely on the verbal commands and limited hand signals she has already learned. It's been going well. When the crutches fall on the floor she picks them up, when I drop items (which is often and for real, because it's hard to carry items and use crutches concurrently!) she picks them up; she closes doors and drawers. She retrieved her pack and brought it to me when it was time for the morning meal. When I let her outside this morning she did her business and promptly came back to the door. I'm totally impressed!

What I hadn't realized to this point is what a busy puppy Boston really is. The last two families that have taken care of her have both commented on it. I work outside the home so am away from her all day, and spend the evenings playing or training, so am managing her energy.

Boston has been in non-stop motion since we got up this morning. Chewing on bones, playing with toys, visiting all the rooms in the house (looking for trouble I am sure), "bringing" me things I really didn't want, and just generally pestering me. She's already had her treat ball and a kong with peanut butter. Yikes! This is going to be a long four weeks at home. How do the stay-at-home dog parents do this?

Here is a picture of Boston during her recent visit to Marley's house. Marley is such a ham. I sent along her homework sheet in case Julie had time to work with her, but Boston returned it "incomplete".




2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    Crutches can be such a pain in the butt (and else where)and how lucky you are to have such a good helper like Boston.

    Boston and Marley look like a dangerous duo looking for fun.

    Looks to me like Boston did "try" to do her homework...LOL

    Wishing you a speedy recovery...Boston may just encourage you to recover faster than anticipated...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we know what Boston thought of her homework. :) Korina

    ReplyDelete